The series of events through which MTN sought to recognize and celebrate outstanding women business leaders was climaxed today as the company announced this year’s winners of the 4th Annual MTN Women in Business Awards.
MTN launched the Women in Business initiative last month, under the theme; “Women in Business: Using technology to manage their businesses”, and included the Women in Business Expo, the panel discussion and the Awards.
MTN is using the initiative to continue its support for Business communities in Uganda, manifested through its extensive Enterprise business solutions offering as well as the MTN Business training programs for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
The initiative has helped equip business owners with the relevant ICT tools and expertise to not only start up new business ventures but to also grow and enhance their current business to ensure optimum output, increased efficiency and improved profitability. This program has over the last three years extended to Women in Business (WiB) in particular, in an effort to accelerate the role of women in driving enterprise development and job creation.
“Tonight we celebrate the spirit of excellence that is demonstrated by those outstanding women that have harnessed technology/ICT and talent to grow their businesses, and I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to all the nominees and tonight’s winners,” said MTN’s Chief Marketing Officer, Mapula Bodibe.
“For the winners, we have packaged the prizes to be able to aid further growth of your business, thereby achieving our mission of empowering businesses. On behalf of MTN, I would also like to extend our sincere appreciation to the partners that have complemented MTN’s packages for the winners,” she added.
Each of the top 3 category winners will have an opportunity to attend an Executive Leadership Training for Women, have their story profiled on TV and print media, in addition to a bouquet of communication benefits including five fixed lines, MTN Business Bundle activation and free subscription of MTN Go Bundle for 6months, MTN Office/home WiFi (six months), and one year hosting at MTN’s Mutundwe data Center.
All finalists will also have access to strategic business Training for Women as well as two MTN fixed lines and a 4G MiFi router.
Today’s Awards winners were selected by a panel of judges and fall under three main categories of Excellence in ICT Award, Excellence in Financial Services Award and the CEO of the Year Award. The Public Choice Category winner was voted by the public.
Additionally, during the event, MTN Business’s General Manager, Reginald Kafeero, made a presentation that highlighted the introduction of the MTN Business bundles. The MTN Business Bundles is an exciting solution that gives business customers access to a range of value bundles that fulfil all their communication needs. The MTN Business Bundles are now open for business and can be accessed through MTN Business at Nyonyi Gardens or MTN service centres.
Full list of benefits packages for winners
- Huawei Uganda, technology partners in this year’s MTN Women In Business event, who have extended 3 Huawei P8 smart phones to the winners.
- NTV Uganda who offered up to 30% discount of advertising that can be used within the 3 months of winning these words.
- Radio One who offered a combo advertising package that winners can take up on both Radio One and Two.
- UAP Insurance Uganda limited who have extended the following the Queen Motor Insurance policy. This cover extends to third party body & property liability, passenger extension liability, emergency medical expenses, free personal accident cover, handbag & content cover and household items cover. The tiers are as follows:
- SME CEO Of the year: Queen Motor Insurance cover up to UGX. 78,500,000.
- Excellence in ICT Award: Queen Motor Insurance cover up to UGX. 31,500,000.
- Excellence in Mobile Financial Award – Queen Motor Insurance cover up to UGX. 21,500,000.
- Serena hotel who have extended the following:
- SME CEO Of the year: Weekend for 2 at Lake Victoria Serena Golf Resort & Spa on a bed and Breakfast basis
- Excellence in ICT Award: Brunch for 4 at Kampala Serena – 2 adults and 2 Children.
- Excellence in Mobile Financial Award – Spa day pass at Maisha- for 1 person
- Vivo Energy Uganda who have extended fuel vouchers worth UGX. 500,000 to each of the winners tonight.
- Trademark EastAfrica who have extended best-business practice training through their partner Uganda Revenue Authority, to all the winners and nominees.
- Summit Consulting Limited, an advisory firm, who have offered their expertise to review the winners’ and nominees businesses and align their strategic plans for sustainable growth.
MTN will also offer the following to the 3 winners of the awards:
- MTN Office WiFi for a period of 6 months
- MTN Fixedlines
- MTN MTN Business Bundle activation and free subscription of MTN Go Bundle for 6months
- MTN Colocation for a period of one year
A working trip to South Africa to meet the biggest SMEs there so ideas can be exchanged and lessons learnt.
MTN Women in Business Excellence in ICT Award:
Susan Ajok of Straight Talk Africa.
MTN Women in Business Excellence in Financial Services Award:
Jacqueline Birigwa Nuwamanya of Rural Communication Centre LTD.
MTN Women in Business CEO of the Year Award:
Alice Karugaba of Nina Interiors.
Public Choice Award:
Charlotte Kanabahita Kamugisha of Bunyonyi Safari’s.