Facebook search has for a long time been lacking! In a bid to improve search experience and hopefully also tap into the search adverting money, Facebook announced a search product called Graph Search. Facebook Graph Search could be a starting point. With some intelligence to interpret human like questions, this could be a good addition to the semantic web. The questions that may not be answered as yet are how users will receive this new product and if users’ mental model will be able to change in a way oriented to social/connection graph search.
Written by Facebook PR, here is a list of questions and answers about graph search.
What is Graph Search?
Graph Search is a new way for you to find people, photos, places and interests that are most relevant to you on Facebook.
What is Graph Search useful for?
Graph Search will help you instantly find others, learn more about them and make connections, explore photos, quickly find places like local attractions and restaurants, and learn about common interests like music, movies, books and more. All results are unique based on the strength of relationships and connections.
What can I search for?
With Graph Search, you can search for people, photos, places and interests.
How do I search?
Type your search into the blue bar at the top of the page. As you start to type, suggestions appear in a drop down. You can refine your search using the tools on the right-hand side of the page.
Some example searches include:
· People who like tennis and live nearby
· Photos before 1990
· Photos of my friends in New York
· Sushi restaurants in Palo Alto my friends have liked
· Tourist attractions in Italy visited by my friends
How are you rolling this out?
Graph Search is in a limited preview, or beta. That means Graph Search will only be available to a very small number of people who use Facebook in US English.
How can I get Facebook Graph Search?
You can sign up for the waitlist at www.facebook.com/graphsearch
Does Graph Search change any of my current privacy settings?
No. Graph Search follows your current privacy settings. You can only search for content that has been shared with you.
How do I control what tags, locations and photos can show up about me?
To control tags, photos or posts with locations about you that appear in search, go to your Activity Log.
How to Use Facebook New Search for Dating: Based on your status and what you may want, below are questions you may put in the search box: Which Questions Will You Ask the Search Tool?
- If you’re desperate: Single men in Kampala
- If you want a nerd: Single women nearby who Like Star Wars
- If you need someone your parents will like: Single men in Kampala Who Went To Makerere
- Hunting for cougars in Kampala: Women in Kampala older than 38
- If you want someone kinky: Single women in Kampala who Like 50 Shades Of Gray
- If you want to get beat up: My friends’ moms
- How to pop the question?: My friends who are married
- Getting that cavity fixed?: Dentists Liked by my friends
- What game should I play in the off-season?: Sports games my friends play
- How can I find my passion?: What Groups are my friends in?
- What should I watch tonight?: Videos by TV shows Liked by my friends